Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Atlanta Carnival Costume

So as I mentioned, I LOVE creating costumes. The Atlanta Carnival this year was one I was DETERMINED to attend. The band we played with was called We Kinda Ting who portrayed "C'est Magnifique" and the section that we played in was called Ooh la la. The costume was pretty but because of some issues, I knew that I wanted to/needed to change it up a bit. First, because of my very abbreviated upper body (most people's torsos are half the size of their lower body; mine is more like one third), I knew that the corset would hit me much lower than on the model so the silver bottom would not show up at all. Next, I wasn't feeling the neck piece or the pink material in front.




MY INSPIRATIONS
My thoughts for the costume were to make something that could be attached directly to the corset so that nothing woukld have to go over or under it. I found a great example of a showgirl costume on line atwww.theburlesqueboutique.com/ They are based in the UK and the prices they wanted were out of my price range so I decided to try to figure out how to do it myself. I also wanted to try for a look with wings (such as seen the Victoria's Secret Angels Runway show) for my take on sexy angel/sexy fairy. I even found a picture of a costume of a fairy in a corset that looked just like the one I had!














The Final Product
Below is the finished costume, on the left on a hanger and on the right on me. It fit well, was unique and the wings (made with wire and organza with glitter glued on), were light and easily movable on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment